Re: Installing RHEL 2 (yes, "*2*") inside a F9 KVM VM...

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:21:58PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
I'm not passing down variant now for virtinst API calls (but can probably do this in a future release if the user supplies it). Is there a suggestion to just make it default to the compatible NIC that would be good for all Fedora/RHEL (or are there performance issues in doing this or something)?

That's the situation we've got already - we compile Xen and  KVM to use
the rtl8139 nic since that's the best lowest-common denominator. It was
a barely passable approach so far, but with VirtIO it is now past its sell
by date and we have to key off os type/variant. If we don't then we'll
be limiting guests to 1/100 of the their potential performance. Not cool

Daniel

Yikes :)

I'll do some more manual creation tests tomorrow using the qemu command line. Passing in the OS version is doable as we should soon have "cobbler import" storing that data.

Right now, it stores the name "RHEL5.2", etc, but that's not hard enough to key off of.

--Michael