Re: Installing RHEL 2 (yes, "*2*") inside a F9 KVM VM...

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 05:55:51PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:
I'm finding that RHEL 2 (last dot release) does not seem to have a virtual NIC of the type that Anaconda can discover.

Has anyone tested EL2, and if so, should I be sending something extra down to python virtinst for that?

--Michael

Actually I just committed some work to virtinst that may help solve
this issue.

Try running qemu-kvm manually and testing out the -nic models. Try
'qemu-kvm -hda /any/old/file -net nic,model=?' to see a list of the
available ones. See if you can find a model that works, and we can
trivially put it in the virtinst os database. So if someone in
the future tries

I've got to imagine that the ne2k NIC wil do the job, though I'm kinda
suprised there's no rtl8139 support.

virt-install --os-type linux --os-variant rhel2.1 --blah ...

We can automatically set the correct network model.

Excellant - I assume you've got that setup to use VirtIO for F9/10
and Ubuntu Hardy ?

Daniel

I'm not passing down variant now for virtinst API calls (but can probably do this in a future release if the user supplies it). Is there a suggestion to just make it default to the compatible NIC that would be good for all Fedora/RHEL (or are there performance issues in doing this or something)?

--Michael