Re: Input Requested: revising policy for stalled EPEL requests

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:17:25 -0700
Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 3:21 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > EPEL Issue #101 [1] has pointed out that our current policy for
> > stalled EPEL requests is fairly in-efficient and can cause some long
> > delays.
> >
> > What do people think the process should be?
> >
> > Here is an example:
> > * A packager opens a bugzilla requesting a package be added to EPEL.
> > They also express that they are willing to help maintain /
> > co-maintain that package in EPEL.
> > * A period of time goes by with no response
> > * They re-say that they are willing to maintain / co-maintain the
> > package in EPEL
> > * Another period of time goes by with no response
> > * They file a rel-eng ticket, that points to the bugzilla,
> > requesting appropriate privileges to be able to branch and build
> > that package in EPELX
> > * That happens.
> > * They then request branch, and build the package in EPELX following
> > normal ways.
> >
> > This is just an example, but it's what I picture in my head.
> > Troy
> >
> > [1] - https://pagure.io/epel/issue/101
>
> This is the proposed policy. If people could look through it for any
> problems, it would be appreciated.
>
> **Stalled EPEL Requests**
> There are times that an EPEL / Fedora package maintainer isn't
> responding to an EPEL package request. If a different packager would
> like to build and maintain that package in EPEL, these are the steps
> they take.
>
> * A packager opens a bugzilla requesting a package be added to EPEL.
> They also express that they are willing to help maintain / co-maintain
> that package in EPEL-X.
>
> * A week goes by with no response
>
> * They re-say that they are willing to maintain / co-maintain the
> package in EPEL
> ** This is just incase the initial message was missed.
>
> * A week goes by with no response
>
> * They file a rel-eng ticket, that points to the bugzilla, requesting
> appropriate privileges to be able to branch and build that package in
> EPEL-X
> ** Currently that privilege is "admin"
> ** This part of the policy will adjust as various features get
> implemented in pagure and dist-git
>
> * The privileges are given
> * They then request a branch, and build the package in EPEL-X
> following normal steps.

I think there's also a good case for the requester to be made the
bugzilla contact for EPEL for that package, though it would be
complicated if there was an existing EPEL branch, which would
presumably have been made (and been maintained) by someone else.

Paul.