Re: CoolKey for Gentoo

A. Maitland Bottoms wrote:
David Mueller writes:
 > I've been working on creating a Gentoo ebuild for CoolKey

Hi, I've been packaging for Debian.
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/coolkey/

 > 1. Is there a tarball floating around for the 1.0.1 release?

Me Too. My approach was to pick a date and `cvs export -D` to that date
in the hopes that makes it easy for others to replicate.
The CoolKey CVS tree is tagged with the release number. When I build a tar ball, my script also tags the tree for the release.
 > 2. ... headers and .la and .a files as well as the .so ...

which might be useful to somebody, so should be packaged.

 > 3. The Gentoo developer thinks the package should be split in two,

I took the approach of three, but since coolkey depends upon libckyapplet1,
the common case will have both of those installed. The libckyapplet1-dev
package has the headers etc. for developers.
libckyapplet is separate mostly because esc needs it. The FC-6 package splits out a -devel package which is really a devel package for libckyapplet. Splitting out libckyapplet itself from libcoolkey sounds like overkill to me. coolkey requires it, and the one other package that uses it also requires libcoolkey as well.
 > 4. The Gentoo developer doesn't seem to like the automatic install into nss and would like some sort of --disable-nss-install.

My packages skip the installer, mainly because I don't feel that I have enough clue
about what it is doing. Also, I'd like to see an installer for CA certificates to
avoid all the clicking around in the gui to get those set up.

Let me chime in too, and say that I think "pk11install" seems too generic for me,
and I'd probably change the name to "coolkey_pk11install", since that is more
precisely what it does.
pk11install is really a generic tool that probably should be moved to NSS (you can change the parameters and install any PKCS #11 module). There should be a disable option in the current configure script for it (actually I thought I turned if off by default and only enabled it for FC-6). It differs form modutil in that it doesn't try to load the module itself to install it. It also differs from modutil in that it 'knows' where several NSS apps store their database (OK, where old netscape and modern mozilla apps). You can run it as a user and install your favorite PKCS #11 module into all the browsers/mailreaders you have installed.

Installing coolkey into NSS by default will make more sense once the shared library version of NSS is released
Knowing how to install by hand has let me use coolkey with the Gnome Epiphany browser, too.
Nice thing about NSS, if you don't blow the password prompting, you get token support without even knowing it;).
Good luck,
-Maitland