Re: Making reqpart in kickstart to do BIOS+UEFI with GPT on x86?

Hi everyone,

Dne 01. 09. 21 v 20:22 Joe Wulf napsal(a):
On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 01:58:21 PM EDT, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 04:08:30PM +0200, Dan Horák wrote:
> > > my idea would be adding a "--hybrid" option to "reqpart" that would
> > > create both "BIOS" + "EFI" partitions on x86 systems. For remaining
> > > systems I believe they use only a single boot partition kind, so
> > > nothing will change there. This way you could create a "works
> > > everywhere" image the easiest way.
> >
> > I'd like to see adding flags an option of last resort :) If it's
> > possible for anaconda to figure out what's needed automatically that's
> > would be best.
> >

> How would Anaconda be able to figure it out? The idea is that this
> works *regardless* of what the host says it does. Unless you're just
> going to make Anaconda always do hybrid for x86, there's no reasonable
> way for that to be "auto-detected".

When I kickstart, I check "/sys/firmware" for 'efi' which exists, which I later use to influence which command to use to rebuild grub.
My point is that anaconda should be able to check for /sys/firmware/efi, for forcing hybrid usage, or it is only a BIOS host.

Yes, Anaconda could look if we can install also UEFI next to the BIOS but the point is
that most of the users do not want this and we are not able to figure out if we
should install only UEFI or both BIOS boot + UEFI.

Jirka