Re: Making reqpart in kickstart to do BIOS+UEFI with GPT on x86?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:57:28 +0200
> Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 4:58 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > Last week, Dan Horak notified the Cloud WG that we accidentally broke
> > > ppc64le images[1] with our Hybrid BIOS+UEFI on GPT setup[2] because
> > > now there's no PReP partition being made for POWER images.
> > >
> > > He suggested in the ticket that it might be worth asking if we could
> > > have the reqpart command extended to do BIOS+UEFI setup when on GPT.
> > > If not by default, perhaps adding a flag to do it?
> > >
> > What's would be the difference from the current behavior ?
>
> my idea would be adding a "--hybrid" option to "reqpart" that would
> create both "BIOS" + "EFI" partitions on x86 systems. For remaining
> systems I believe they use only a single boot partition kind, so
> nothing will change there. This way you could create a "works
> everywhere" image the easiest way.

It would also make sense for that flag to exist for autopart too,
since reqpart and autopart are mutually exclusive, and we do have
appliance images that use the latter. In fact, Cloud did[1] until we
needed to support the hybrid configuration.

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/c/611edda1490ebb93d996acb29692805ec9e481d3