Re: btrfs compression by default

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM <jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I see a few options for this. First is to add this directly to blivet
> library as you pointed out already. However, I don't think blivet
> developers would be happy about that because they are trying to be as
> much as possible general purpose library and this change is really just
> about Anaconda.
>
> Another option seems to be to modify Anaconda code directly.
> Unfortunately, I can't tell from top of my mind how hard that would be
> but still seems like the easiest solution.
>
> However, the best approach which I can think of is to add something
> like that to our configuration files. Benefit would be that another
> modifications like that could be done easily in the future. That is of
> course for a discussion for the Anaconda team because it could be
> pretty hard to implemented this in some common form.
>
> Vendy, Vojta, do you have some better ideas or could you tell us
> something more about my ideas above?
>
> Best Regards,
> Jirka
>
> On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 01:18 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 1:09 AM Michel Alexandre Salim
> > <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > (I'm one of the change owners, and trying to figure this out with
> > > Chris).
> > >
> > > Ideally we have a solution that is configurable - i.e. this is
> > > exposed
> > > via a kickstart command (and probably entailing changes in Anaconda
> > > and
> > > pykickstart), but if that is not possible, or require a lot of
> > > rework
> > > (which we can try to work on), if we are willing to carry a patch
> > > for
> > > blivet or some other component to override the behavior just for
> > > Fedora
> > > 34, what's the best way of achieving that?
> > >
> > > Btrfs is probably the only filesystem with built-in compression
> > > that we
> > > potentially care about, so designing an interface to expose this
> > > functionality might be an overkill -- but we're not sure.
> > >

> > Eventually, VDO might get integrated into the mainline tree, so
> > having
> > the interface which could be used for LVM compression through VDO
> > wouldn't be too bad.

Hello!

The change says: "On variants using btrfs as the default filesystem,
enable transparent compression using zstd." It means that the
compression has to be configurable per product, so we need to add a
new configuration option to the Anaconda configuration files
(something like btrfs_compression_enabled = True). I guess you planned
to use interactive-defaults.ks, but we are going to replace this file
with the configuration files anyway.

I have checked the Blivet's code and we might be able to redefine the
_mount_class attribute of the BTRFS class. The mount class defines
default mount options. That should be enough to fix all partitioning
methods. What do you think, Vojta?

Vendy