Re: Making anaconda disable some storage-related systemd services in post-install config part of livecd install?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7/8/20 12:01 PM, Vendula Poncova wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     On 6/30/20 6:59 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> >      > On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 01:53:19PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >      >> So 2 questions:
> >      >>
> >      >> 1. What do you think of my proposal to disable these
> >      >> services (when not needed) in the livecd post-install
> >      >> config phase? Would you be willing to accept a
> >      >> merge-req for this?
> >      >>
> >      >> 2. Its been a long time since I last touched the
> >      >> anaconda code, my python is quite rusty and my
> >      >> plate is way too full, so I was wondering if one
> >      >> of you could implement this if we chose to go this
> >      >> route?
> >      >
> >      > I think implementing this may be even easier. Anaconda runs post-script
> >      > snippets from /usr/share/anaconda/post-scripts/*ks at the end of every
> >      > install. The livecd could drop in a script to handle disabling these, I
> >      > think.
> >      >
> >      > Current scripts are here:
> >      >
> >      > https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/tree/master/data/post-scripts
> >
> >     Yes that would be an option, although getting the list of pkgs
> >     which are deemed as being necessary for the configured storage
> >     (and thus should not have their services disabled) might be
> >     tricky to do from such a post-install script ?
> >
> >     Anyways, going by Vojtěch's reply, there are no objections to
> >     removing device-mapper-multipath from the livecd. And it will be
> >     quite easy to make the dmraid-activation service disable itself
> >     if no dmraid sets are found (it already is a shell script).
> >
> >     So I believe it would be best to move forward with this as
> >     I original proposed in the 2 change pages:
> >
> >     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DisableDmraidOnFirstRun
> >     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveDeviceMapperMultipathFromWorkstationLiveCD
> >
> >     This requires almost no anaconda changes as mentioned in another
> >     part of the thread, the hard-dep on device-mapper-multipath needs
> >     to be dropped. But with some luck that is all that is required
> >     on the anaconda side.
> >

> > The anaconda's dependency on device-mapper-multipath is caused by fcoe-utils:
> >
> > anaconda -> anaconda-install-env-deps -> fcoe-utils -> device-mapper-multipath
> >
> > Is it expected that the support for FCoE devices will be dropped from Live OS?
>
> That was not part of the Change proposal, but having FCoE support in the
> Workstation LiveCD makes about as much sense as having multipath support, so
> I believe that dropping it is fine. I can amend the Change proposal to mention
> this.
>
> > If yes, it shouldn't be a problem to change the dependency on fcoe-utils to weak.

> [...]

If you set them as excluded in the live media kickstart files, they'll
be properly excluded. I fixed this some time ago so that even weak
installs would not take effect in this scenario.

So you'd probably want to add a "-fcoe-utils" line to %packages in
fedora-live-base.ks:
https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/master/f/fedora-live-base.ks

As for the process to create the media, I don't have it offhand, but
usually you can look at a recent Koji task to create the ISO to see
how it's done.