Making anaconda disable some storage-related systemd services in post-install config part of livecd install?

Hi All,

For those of you who are still around from when I was a part
of the anaconda team: long time no see.

First some background on $subject:

The Fedora workstation livecd is the default Fedora variant
getfedora.org advices people to download. As such most Fedora workstation
installs will be done from the livecd.

As you very well know, with livecd installs the packageset
installed is the one which used to compose the livecd, since
the rootfs is simply rsync-ed over.

This means that any storage related packages which may
be necessary in some exotic setups are part of the livecd.

Some of these storage related packages are poorly behaved
wrt their systemd services, they come with services which
simply always run.

2 of these are particularly bad because they also bring
in (through Requires=) the long obsolete systemd-udev-settle
service significantly delaying the boot. These are dmraid
and device-mapper-multipath.

As you may have seen I have proposed 2 changes for Fedora 33
to deal with this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DisableDmraidOnFirstRun
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveDeviceMapperMultipathFromWorkstationLiveCD

These are currently being discussed on the fedora-devel
mailinglist.

One suggestion which came up there and which I think is
probably a better idea then my original solutions is
to make anaconda disable the related services in the
post-install config part of the livecd install.

This should be easy to implement, unless this has
changed since I last worked on anaconda, the storage
code will provide a list of extra packages which need
to be installed because they are necessary for the
chosen storage config.

My idea is to have a table (somewhere) with mappings
of storage packages to service-names to disable.
Then the livecd post-install config code can ask the
storage code for the list of necessary packages and
then walk over this new table. If a package is not
listed as being necessary by the storage code, then
the livecd post-install config code can run
"systemctl disable $mapped-service.service"
thus disabling any (bad behaved) storage services which
are not necessary.

For starters this table would just contain dmraid
and device-mapper-multipath, but I think this would
be a nice generic config mechanism which we might
be able to use for some other cases in the future.

So 2 questions:

1. What do you think of my proposal to disable these
services (when not needed) in the livecd post-install
config phase? Would you be willing to accept a
merge-req for this?

2. Its been a long time since I last touched the
anaconda code, my python is quite rusty and my
plate is way too full, so I was wondering if one
of you could implement this if we chose to go this
route?

Regards,

Hans