Re: Making anaconda disable some storage-related systemd services in post-install config part of livecd install?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 01:53:19PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> So 2 questions:
>
> 1. What do you think of my proposal to disable these
> services (when not needed) in the livecd post-install
> config phase? Would you be willing to accept a
> merge-req for this?

Hi Hans,

I prefer the original plan proposed in the Fedora changes. Let the dmraid service to disable itself on the first run and remove the device-mapper-multipath package from Live CD.

The idea of handling this in Anaconda is definitely interesting. As Vojta suggested, it would make more sense to remove unneeded packages at the end of the installation. We already track a request to remove the anaconda packages, so it is a use case that we plan to support in the future. It wouldn't require the mapping of storage packages to service names, which I find very fragile. However, it won't be trivial to implement such support in a robust and meaningful way and we are not really there yet. We are in a process of modularizing the Anaconda code and there are some missing pieces that we need to move with this further.

> 2. Its been a long time since I last touched the
> anaconda code, my python is quite rusty and my
> plate is way too full, so I was wondering if one
> of you could implement this if we chose to go this
> route?

I think implementing this may be even easier. Anaconda runs post-script
snippets from /usr/share/anaconda/post-scripts/*ks at the end of every
install. The livecd could drop in a script to handle disabling these, I
think.

I agree with Brian. If you want to go this way, then the best option is a post script. I guess that the script would be generated by the file https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/master/f/fedora-live-base.ks that belongs to the component spin-kickstarts. It means that no change is needed in Anaconda.

You should probably talk to someone from Fedora Silverblue in this case, because they are trying to be as close to Fedora Workstation as possible.

Vendy

Current scripts are here:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/tree/master/data/post-scripts

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart