Re: Discussion: what would not blocking on btrfs look like?

> On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 13:25 -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > Josh, to be fair, I can see Neal's point here. In a way you seem
> > > to be
> > > kinda sending him in circles here: "anaconda team doesn't have
> > > the
> > > time/resources to invest in btrfs development, but you can help
> > > by
> > > sending them pull requests. Oh, you sent them a pull request and
> > > they
> > > rejected it? Well, it's because they don't have time/resources
> > > for
> > > btrfs development..." You're right that one rejected PR doesn't
> > > necessarily indicate a contribution model problem, but putting
> > > the
> > > wider issue aside, a very simple one-liner with a major impact on
> > > btrfs
> > > functionality being rejected *does* seem to say a lot about the
> > > prospects of any btrfs-related work being accepted.
> > >
> > > Putting myself in Neal's shoes, given my experience with that PR
> > > and
> > > other attempts to help out with btrfs in anaconda, why would I
> > > invest
> > > my time and effort to write another one when it seems extremely
> > > likely
> > > it would be rejected?
> >
> > There's an assumption here that when someone is asked to send a PR,
> > it
> > will always be accepted.
>
> No, that's not what I'm assuming, but if we (Red Hat) tell people
> that
> it would be a good idea to send PRs, we should at least be
> *potentially* willing to accept them. We should not be saying 'send
> PRs' if there is no chance of them being accepted. And it would be
> nicest if we gave people a roadmap: here are the specific things you
> can do that would be acceptable to us as a way to continue including
> btrfs handling in the installer.

Sorry but I have to react on this. It's killing me how many of you
people here are telling Anaconda does not accept patches. That is
really not true. We have smaller amount of contributions from community
that is partially our fault because of a lack of documentation but
mainly it's really hard to develop & test Anaconda and most users see
it just once in a few years so it's not bothering them so much. I guess
most of the installers are in the same situation.

Please before any of you will tell again that Anaconda team is not
accepting patches, please look on the last few years history. How many
patches were "rejected" and how many were accepted. There are just a
few patches which weren't accepted and basically only a few PR (I would
even say the only one) for BTRFS. That is unfortunate but it's not all
our contributions.

Please stop saying all the time that Anaconda is not accepting
contributions or that users doesn't have a chance to get the
contributions in.