Re: Discussion: what would not blocking on btrfs look like?

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:30 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:10 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > There is always the *next* RHEL.  Or, if you want to remove a product
> > > context, the next enterprise operating system derived from Fedora.
> > > RHEL/enterprise is both past and future and Fedora focuses on the
> > > future.  You cannot dismiss enterprise as a target by waiving it away
> > > as "past".
> > >

> > Until there's a branch in Anaconda's git for the next version of RHEL,
> > it doesn't exist yet. I'm sure people are *thinking* about it, but
> > it's obviously on the back burner for a little while. I would expect
> > to start to see a rhel-9 branch in Anaconda in 1.5 years, but for now
> > it doesn't exist.
>
> In 1.5 years is entirely too late.  Massively so.  I know people think
> we're paying lip-service to upstream when discussing Fedora and RHEL,
> but even with a terrible "import once" model the code being developed
> in Fedora right now will materially land in RHEL 9.  Your presumption
> on a branch needing to exist is simply incorrect.

For us non RH people, there's nothing for us to do about RHEL 9 right
now. Your planning is done in secret, and there's little to no
community feedback loop for RHEL.next. I agree that in ordinary
circumstances, it's too late once the branch has happened, because
usually that means it's the stabilizing phase. But there's nothing I
can do before then.

> > > Neal, I don't understand.  The source code to anaconda is available.
> > > What is preventing you from taking it and making a micro-fork that
> > > does better btrfs enablement, and packaging that in Fedora and using
> > > it in a spin?
> > >

> > I have seriously contemplated it. It isn't the first time I've done a
> > fork because I had to[1].
> >
> > But the main reason I don't do it is because it will cause more damage
> > in the Fedora community by doing so. Two sets of packages for Anaconda
> > that all the things that depend on Anaconda could cause a huge level
> > of breakage because the two versions must *always* be drop-in
> > replacements for each other. If they're not, it makes it impossible to
> > leverage the Fedora tooling to do things like making spins and such. I
> > don't even *know* what kind of work it would entail if I wanted it to
> > be an official spin composed through pungi. I'm pretty sure the releng
> > folks would kill me for doing that, as now pungi would have be aware
> > and switch anaconda packages for lorax...
>
> So... more time investment.  Yep.
>
> > Additionally, it would require a fork of pykickstart so that further
> > enhancements to the Btrfs partitioning can be defined. However, *that*
> > causes bigger problems because now there's incompatible grammar. Given
> > how poorly the pykickstart project is run right now, it might even
> > make sense to fully fork it, except that it fragments a specification
> > defined in implementation (kickstart files).
>
> I agree on this one.  It would be great if someone created a canonical
> specification for both kickstarts and comps.

Comps isn't *quite* so bad off. There's a DTD for it, at least. I've
collected most of the RPM-MD repodata specification files that I could
find into a single repo: https://pagure.io/rpm-metadata

Someday, maybe those documents can be rationalized into a formal spec,
but there are bigger fish to fry in that realm right now...

> > I've looked at writing automation to watch Anaconda and pykickstart
> > and continuously integrate patchsets on top for a forked package set.
> > But in the end, it would be too destructive for the Fedora community
> > to do so.
> >
> > [1]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/livecd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/VL666ET5FR6MTSGGTHDULDSQN5DEWUUM/
>
> I'll disagree, but only in severity.  It would certainly be inconvenient.

It sends a bad message as well: "Fedora developers have to fork their
own installer because installer developers can't work with Fedora
developers."

> > > My guess would be that you perhaps don't have the time to do that.
> > > That's reasonable.  I can say, with no uncertainty, that the anaconda
> > > team doesn't have time to do it either.  The day to day things that
> > > team is working on far outweigh btrfs as a priority, even in Fedora.
> > > This team literally gets dozens of completely unrelated bugs they have
> > > to look at and triage simply because it is the first thing people
> > > interact with when they install the OS.  It's a catch-all.  Btrfs
> > > enablement would continually sit on the back burner waiting to get
> > > done.
> > >

> > I *know* the Anaconda team barely has bandwidth right now. That is a
> > function of them being too closed for a community to develop around
> > it. That is *entirely* their fault. The Anaconda engineers, the team
> > leads, the managers, and the project/product owners for Anaconda do
> > not value the community enough to allow one to develop.
> >
> > (I've met a fair number of Anaconda developers and manager folks, I
> > know this is the case, even if they don't entirely realize it
> > themselves.)
>
> I think you're conflating "selective in what they accept" and "do not
> value community".
>

> > There are several distributions in the RH ecosystem that use Anaconda,
> > and yet only a team of ~3 people are allowed to do anything on it?
> > That seems brutally useless. Then again, we have the same problem with
> > Koji. Terminally understaffing is not useful. And because the
> > community cannot contribute to Anaconda, if there are bugs, there's no
> > way for the community to help fix them.
>
> There certainly is.  You submit a PR.  It's what they would do.  That
> PR being merged or not is a completely different topic than the
> ability to submit it in the first place.

There *was* a PR submitted. It was even a one-liner because the
contributor fixed the underlying problem elsewhere. It's been in limbo
for over a year: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/1375

You seem to think that I'm just shouting without any effort to back it
up. There was originally four of us working on this two years ago.
It's dwindled over time as the roadblocks were thrown up time and time
again.