Re: Discussion: what would not blocking on btrfs look like?

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:55 AM <jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 23:54 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 7:16 AM <jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I understand them. The point is, for them and even us (the
> > > installer)
> > > is work on BTRFS not a priority. It's something we can't benefit on
> > > RHEL and it could be almost completely replaced by LVM + xfs
> > > solution.
> > > However, it still giving us bugs and making our test surface
> > > bigger.

> > > support BTRFS at all. I'm not saying that we should drop BTRFS in
> > > Fedora, only that it would be easier for Anaconda team to be
> > > without
> > > that on Fedora.
> >
> > This is flat-out a trap. This is what makes Anaconda such a failure
> > as
> > a community project. Why does the past (RHEL) affect the present and
> > future (Fedora)? There's basically no way whatsoever to make anything
> > better with this logic. The Anaconda releases that any improvements
> > would be going into aren't even landing into the RHEL 8 branch that
> > governs the latest iteration of Fedora's past. From any reasonable
> > person's perspective, this answer makes no sense unless you're using
> > RHEL as an excuse to not support Fedora.
> >

> RHEL is not the past. Everything we do we have to think that it will go
> to RHEL and if it is Fedora specific we have to create a way to disable
> the functionality for another RHEL branching. And yes, we have a few
> things (not only a BTRFS) specific to Fedora the same way as a few
> things specific to RHEL which are disabled on Fedora.
>
> And as I wrote before, I'm not saying that we will remove the BTRFS
> support from Fedora. The point is that making the list specific to
> releases smaller will make our live easier.

By definition, RHEL *is* the past from a Fedora context. It's forked
from an old version of Fedora that's not supported anymore. It is the
result of decisions that aren't supposed to apply to Fedora. And it is
the result of a different bias that should never apply to Fedora if
the RH ecosystem is supposed to be able to evolve.

>From the way you describe it, Fedora is just something occasionally
give lip service to while your main focus is RHEL. That's fine, but
that is a problem for the Fedora context.