Re: /boot/efi size, 260MiB minimum for FAT32 ESP) -- WAS: /boot size

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 6:09 AM, Bryan Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BTW, I _have_ seen _several_ cases where the FAT16 ESP created by
> Anaconda is _not_ used by the Windows installer, and creates yet
> _another_ FAT32 ESP.  Sometimes it uses the existing ESP.  Sometimes
> it creates a 2nd ESP.

I agree it would be better if Anaconda made an ESP using FAT32 and 4KiB cluster.

How to do that is up to developers. But once that's decided, it should
always be done. Presenting the user with an option is incompatible
with good UI/Ux. In effect it's an option to make a less compatible
layout, which makes no sense to offer.

> The mass ignorance of even the existence of the "Reserved" (0C01h)
> partition, let alone there's not a day that goes by where a Linux site
> says, "Oh, Microsoft doesn't even use it, I cannot mount it," is part
> of the problem.  I'm just trying to _maximize_ a GPT disk label's
> compatibility.

Required partitions should be created automatically by the thing that
requires them. If the Windows 7 or 8 installer doesn't create an MSR
into free space, that's a Microsoft bug and in no possible way is it
appropriate for Anaconda to create them.

--
Chris Murphy