Re: /boot size

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Doesn't Fedora have the same basic issue, though?  My 500M /boot volumes
>>> are nearly half full and I don't install the kernel-debug packages.
>>
>> Yep, Fedora would definitely have the same problem.  I'm just curious if
>> Fedora is going to want to solve it in some different way or what.
>
> Maybe the dual booters with small drives might bug eye at a 1G boot
> partition? But in the short term (year?) I'm not expecting a Btrfs
> switch where /boot on Btrfs as a subvolume avoids the concern of
> wasted space; so if it needs to get bigger, the only different way I'm
> thinking of is make it 750M?
>
> But I regularly keep 5-8 kernels including debug kernels and I'm not
> seeing this kind of space consumption. I've got kernel 4.5.2 nondebug
> and kernel+initramfs+system.map takes up 30M in /boot, and 4.6.0.rc4
> debug takes up 31M. So...? Fedora uses hostonly initramfs. Is that a
> factor? Even if I go that route, it's only 59M for the debug kernel
> and its initramfs and map. I don't hit 250M with four of those, let
> alone 500M. What am I missing?

I installed CentOS 7 and can't reproduce this. It's only using 188MB
with five kernels, three of which are debug.

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/359257/46151936/

Is this possibly related to kdump? Is it possible for stale kdump
files to accumulate and that's what we aren't seeing in the RHEL bug
report? How big can those get? Maybe they shouldn't be going on /boot?
In a single update, the used space jumps 181M, but that doesn't seem
related to kernel (debug or not) installations. Debug kernels don't
use that much more space.

--
Chris Murphy