Re: /boot/efi size, 260MiB minimum for FAT32 ESP) -- WAS: /boot size

Chris Murphy wrote:
> I agree it would be better if Anaconda made an ESP using FAT32 and 4KiB cluster.

I'm not even saying that.

I'm just saying ...

> How to do that is up to developers. But once that's decided, it should
> always be done. Presenting the user with an option is incompatible
> with good UI/Ux. In effect it's an option to make a less compatible
> layout, which makes no sense to offer.

I merely suggested that it would be a good idea, and the only time it
shows up, as an option, is when the disk needs to be initialized, and
it's booted with uEFI firmware (w/o CSM) for Storage, so we use GPT.

> Required partitions should be created automatically by the thing that
> requires them. If the Windows 7 or 8 installer doesn't create an MSR
> into free space, that's a Microsoft bug and in no possible way is it
> appropriate for Anaconda to create them.

The order is ideal after the ESP.  Even just Windows writing to a GPT,
but not installed on it, should have one.

I.e., this is what got MBR into trouble ... Windows installing bytes
in hidden areas, even if it just someone copying files from a FAT32 or
NTFS file system with another system Windows system and Windows wasn't
even installed on it.  Everything I do is for maximum compatibility.

Furthermore, from an alignment standpoint, it's nice to actually have
128MiB on a good boundary.  But that's just a bonus.

-- bjs

--
Bryan J Smith  -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith
E-mail:  b.j.smith at ieee.org  or  me at bjsmith.me