Re: Blocker status of RHBZ #1033778 (shrinking unknown volumes)

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 07:36 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 10:22 -0500, David Lehman wrote:
> >

> > > So basically it's another shoot-yourself-in-the-foot conundrum, with
> > > the standard choices? Leave the safety off, put a dumbass "Are you
> > > sure
> > > you want to do that?" message in front of it, or disallow it and
> > > annoy
> > > some partition pokemon with an implausible use case for it?
> > >
> > > Well hey, life sucks. I *think* my preference, if you asked my
> > > opinion,
> > > would be to disallow it and just say "if it's an empty partition you
> > > really want to make smaller, just do it in another tool or delete it
> > > and recreate it smaller". But if you think the balance here should be
> > > in favour of letting people shoot themselves in the foot, I'm not
> > > gonna
> > > argue it, and we'll just have to rewrite the criterion somehow.
> >
> > I don't have a strong preference as to which corner-case we turn our
> > back on here. I do think that if this qualifies as a blocker under the
> > current criteria a rewrite/edit is definitely in order.

> OK. We have a blocker review meeting coming up in 90 minutes or so; I
> will propose that we adjust the criterion wording to apply only to
> known filesystems.

We agreed to reword the criterion, and the bug is rejected as a blocker
(though for the record, it seems like general sentiment at the meeting
was that it would be a good idea to either disallow resize of unknown
volumes or have a specific pop-up warning for them that any data on the
volume will be lost).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey