Installing CentOS 7 with livemedia-creator

I'm struggling to use livemedia-creator to create a bootable system image with updates and custom software (my own kernel RPM etc) installed. My main questions are: Can I define my own updates (and possibly custom) RPM repos in addition to a base or "os" URL? Or do I have to handle all updates and custom RPMs in %post? Do you have a recommendation for virt versus no-virt? Finally, is --make-disk a working option? I see no "opts.make_disk" in livemedia-creator or any documentation on this.

So far I can create a Live CD (--make-iso) running CentOS 7 using --no-virt. I started with lorax/docs/fedora-minimal.ks and changed the url line to:
url --url="">
I've also had success running a minimal http server and a URL like:
url --url=""> Official mirrors work also, but I didn't want to tax them while I thrashed around with this.

My command-line invocation is "sudo livemedia-creator --make-iso --no-virt --ks=./my-centos7-minimal.ks"

But as soon as I add any repo sections to the kickstart file, I get errors. Here is what seems most natural to me:
repo --name=updates --baseurl="http://172.20.81.245:8000/7/updates/x86_64/"

This gives me (in anaconda/packaging.log):
ERR packaging:  error populating transaction after 10 retries: failure: Packages/tar-1.26-29.el7.x86_64.rpm from anaconda: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
DEBUG packaging: http://172.20.81.245:8000/7/os/x86_64/Packages/tar-1.26-29.el7.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 14] curl#63 - "Callback aborted"
   --- but ... That's the right URL! You had it right there! curl on the command line works. Gah!

I don't understand the interplay between the repo and url options. I see that livemedia-creator parses the kickstart file, pulls out the url option, and passes this as a command-line argument to anaconda, but I still don't understand what's happening inside anaconda.

I've also been completely unsuccessful with virtualized installs. For example:
sudo livemedia-creator --make-iso --vnc vnc --ks=./my-centos7-minimal.ks --iso=CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.iso

In the VM, anaconda finds the package lists from my http mirror, but then fails to download any RPMs. The errors seem similar to the above even when I remove all repo options. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I can switch to a VT in the virtual machine and, like on the host, use curl to download the .rpm files. So I think virtual networking is being set up correctly.

Finally, while building an ISO is a workable option, I'd really like to be able to create a disk image and partition it with loopbacks etc, and install directly to that including grub in the boot sector. My target machine runs off a compact flash card (mounts as /dev/sda), and I'd like to be able to create a card image directly if possible. On the surface, it sounds like livemedia-creator is built with that kind of functionality in mind. But I don't see any specific documentation or even code relating to the --make-disk option. I believe I need to manually partition the disk image, but I don't know what to pass to livemedia-creator. I also haven't been able to get --make-fsimage to succeed with any kickstart file, virt or not.

I've tried both the latest lorax package in CentOS, 19.6.28-1, and also the current master branch of the git repository. I like that this is written in Python -- makes it very easy to read the code -- but the interaction with anaconda is still very complex and seemingly delicate.

Any suggestions? Am I even using the right tool? Sorry for the barrage of questions and long email. There's probably something simple that I'm missing, but I don't know what else to try.

Thanks,
    Topher Cawlfield