Re: Anaconda and cloud-init

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 09:33 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Do they have a Python 3 version/support as well ? We are in the process
> > > of dropping Python 2 only dependencies (pyblock, urlrgrabber, etc.) so
> > > that Anaconda can run with Python 3, as a needed by the Fedora 22
> > > "Python 3 as Default" system-wide change[0]. So adding new Python 2 only
> > > dependencies would not make much sense.
> >
> > Yes — cloud-init is part of the python3 change, and there's a 2→3 patch
> > at https://code.launchpad.net/~harlowja/cloud-init/py2-3
>
> We're getting off into 2 → 3 architecture, but at least for Atomic, I am
> committed to shipping Python 2 on the host system for "a long time"[1]
> due to Ansible ( http://docs.ansible.com/faq.html#how-do-i-handle-python-pathing-not-having-a-python-2-x-in-usr-bin-python-on-a-remote-machine )
>
> It injects Python (2) programs from remote machines onto the target.
> In that case, Python 3 would basically mean I have to carry both.
>
> That plus non-packaged custom scripts makes it look like to me the only realistic outcome of
> this push is going to be both on the majority of non-minimal/embedded systems.  Which doesn't
> mean it's a fundamentally bad idea.  Maybe just change the term "switching" on the change page
> to "add".
Well, I think that the current plan is to switch Anaconda to Python 3
once all dependencies can run with Python 3, not making it 2 & 3
compatible, due to all the additional development & testing overhead.

On the other hand I think Blivet & Pykickstart will use the 2 & 3
compatibility route, as they are used on various (older) systems and not
just on Fedora.