Re: Anaconda and cloud-init

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014, at 09:09 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 11:12:50AM +0100, Martin Kolman wrote:
> > > At a high level, I think this is a good architectural match; both
> > > programs are Python 2, etc.
> > Do they have a Python 3 version/support as well ? We are in the process
> > of dropping Python 2 only dependencies (pyblock, urlrgrabber, etc.) so
> > that Anaconda can run with Python 3, as a needed by the Fedora 22
> > "Python 3 as Default" system-wide change[0]. So adding new Python 2 only
> > dependencies would not make much sense.
>
> Yes — cloud-init is part of the python3 change, and there's a 2→3 patch
> at https://code.launchpad.net/~harlowja/cloud-init/py2-3

We're getting off into 2 → 3 architecture, but at least for Atomic, I am
committed to shipping Python 2 on the host system for "a long time"[1]
due to Ansible ( http://docs.ansible.com/faq.html#how-do-i-handle-python-pathing-not-having-a-python-2-x-in-usr-bin-python-on-a-remote-machine )

It injects Python (2) programs from remote machines onto the target.
In that case, Python 3 would basically mean I have to carry both.

That plus non-packaged custom scripts makes it look like to me the only realistic outcome of
this push is going to be both on the majority of non-minimal/embedded systems.  Which doesn't
mean it's a fundamentally bad idea.  Maybe just change the term "switching" on the change page
to "add".

[1] No formal commitment on timeframe, it was a verbal agreement with a major consumer of the OS, but if I had to handwave this, "long time" = "RHEL major version".