Re: Anaconda and cloud-init

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014, at 08:16 AM, Radek Vykydal wrote:

> 1) first step would be to allow configuration of cloud-config source and
> its application after reboot - by means of ks or gui, by specifying URL
> or supplying the configuration values.

Below you mention doubting the "embed cloud-init in kickstart" approach,
so how would a user specify a cloudconfig?

I could imagine an
inst.cloudconfig=http://example.com/blah.yml
kernel commandline option?

This seems like it could work quite well if cloud-init covers everything
you need.  Conversely, looking at the feature overlap of kickstart
and cloud-init, the latter is lacking sophisticated storage management.

In other words, you could only use inst.cloudconfig if you were happy
with autopart.  Even that strikes me as a bit too magical.

This sort of thing is why I was thinking it was most realistic to combine
the strengths of the two and support embedding cloud-init in kickstart.

Then it's only for PXE-to-Live that you can skip kickstart and use
cloud-init alone.

> Anaconda would just add
> appropriate boot option (eg ds="nocloud-net;seedfrom=<URL>" for
> cloud-init --url=<URL> in kickstart) and perhaps drop the cloud-config
> to the target filesystem for the configuration created in installer. No
> processing of cloud-init would happen in installer. So for users/keys
> case we'd then probably need a way to configure users in ks saying that
> they will be configured by other means so incomplete configuration is
> valid. Users/keys in kickstart and cloud-config need to be kept in
> accord by the user.

Yeah.  I think we want a way to declare this in kickstart regardless of the
cloud-init effort.

> 2) Another step may be modifying installation by cloud-config (ie users
> configuration in installer derived from cloud-config values).

This is an interesting topic on its own; what would be the value of
doing useradd at install time versus on first boot?

> 3) For both approaches we may want to generate/modify cloud-config via
> GUI (addon?).

Also for kickstart.  I'm sure this has come up before, but I'd love
a button that let me interactively input a URL.  And another that
launched gedit.