Re: Anaconda as a template system versus an installer

Hi Anaconda developers

I am a senior,retired and Fedora user. I promote Fedora Linux. I participate in Linux meet-ups and at times I make a presentation to some senior clubs. I go to these meetings with a few flash-drives, and some half dozen bootable DVDs. Together, after the meeting I have a group of curious enthusiasts do an installation of Fedora on their own laptops.

With the current process, if I use the official DVD iso dated "Go Live date", then after a few months I will easily be experiencing 700+ updates. Consider the club meeting environment, where, doing an installation of the "Go Live" DVD and subsequent running of yum for the large quantity of simultaneous downloads. This large set of follow up updates kills the club's limited internet capacity, and results in a negative disappointing way to demonstrate or experience Fedora.

In the past, (F19, F20) on the day prior to the meet-up, I run a prepared kickstart file with the live creator program. Using the DVD.iso I created, I burn some DVDs. These DVDs are the DVDs I distribute. They are up-to-date, and require no massive yum update following the reboot.

As I see it, there should be at least three required options for Fedora downloaders. One is a live version, the second a network install version and a third, the kickstart version. Using a live image or existing Fedora Linux, if the sysadmin or promoter of Fedora wants a current bootable ISO DVD image, he creates it from from the live image or he runs the live-dvd creator program from his existing Fedora Linux. The DVD iso download is more network efficient then the network installation when multiple installs are to be done.

Has there been any thought to appending a current delta.iso file to the DVD iso image? This delta image may be referenced during an installation, as an optional appendage to the DVD iso. It would solve my problem of of not requiring much yum updates post boot.

Centos 7 developers are discussing monthly iso productions. Fedora has not done this in the past. It would also solve my presentation issue.

My objective is to limit the amount of post installation updates when presenting and installing Fedora within a group environment.