Re: Anaconda as a template system versus an installer

On 12/05/2014 04:45 PM, David Shea wrote:
On 12/05/2014 04:18 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
Yeah, there's some ugly stuff in there.

I think you can remove the user and password stuff, too. What "older versions of livecd-tools" to with rootpw seem irrelevant at this point, and anaconda doesn't force you to make a user. Just don't make one.

Setting the systemd default runlevel to multi-user can be ensured with "skipx". Removing linux-firmware would make more sense in %packages with the reset of the packages being removed. There's a command for the firstboot thing too but the firstboot in %post doesn't even exist anymore. We have a list of files that get restoreconed by anaconda so if the stuff at the end of the kickstart needs it we can do those too.
Hold on minute! Not *requiring* some kickstart commands is one thing but dropping support is a very different matter.

Starting with Fedora 21 I have changed my install/*re-install* process to use a Live image rather than dvd or network install. In all cases I use kickstart files to configure the systems as well as creating my standard user accounts. It was only after I realized I could have a kickstart install use liveimg instead of a package list that I switched.

The reason I emphasized *re-install* is because of my backup and recovery strategy:

1. Do not mix system/application software and user data.
2. Backup all user data "early and often"  Also, backup selected system
   configuration variables.  In case of some failure, restore from backups.
3. Never backup the "system".  Instead, re-install it. Therefore, this
   re-install process needs to be well defined with a hiogh level of
   confidence that it will work.
4. Occasionally, practice recovery since you do not want to discover
   how to do a  re-install if you need to do it because of a failure.

Gene