Re: Anaconda as a template system versus an installer

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:03:05PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Anaconda is used in many different ways, there's things like the Live versus traditional, multiple architectures, etc.
>
> One of those major axes is the difference between generating "images" or "templates" versus doing actual installations.
>
> Current examples of templating are:
>  - Cloud image (via ImageFactory TinMan)
>  - Docker base image (via ImageFactory TinMan)
>
> What's the difference between the two?  A good example is /var/lib/systemd/random-seed:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-base.ks#n190
>
> I would argue that Anaconda should be taking on the role of assisting with things like this.  It shouldn't be for people to hack up in kickstart files.

I agree with the first part of that -- that was the whole reason behind
livemedia-creator, to use anaconda to generate this wide variety of
things that people want.

But I think kickstart is the *right* place for some of these
customizations to happen. As I said (or think I did) in the discussion
about a docker autopart, there are just too many ways that people want
to customize things for Anaconda to stuff them all in.

Look at lmc, I've tried to be careful but I've ended up with more
switches than an airplane cockpit.

Projects could do a much better job of maintaining and distributing
their kickstart snippets. Kickstart even supports including other
kickstarts.

> Another *major* issue with Anaconda-as-templater is networking.  See this thread for example:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2014-November/004663.html
>
> There needs to be some way to sanely distinguish between networking for the ImageFactory environment versus the *target* network configuration.
>
> There's of course other stuff you can see in the cloud base, like yum history.
>
> Another major bug we have is the systemd machine ID.  This really needs to be generated on first boot, not hardcoded into the image.  Systemd has bugs in this regard, but they're being fixed; see:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-December/025783.html

IIRC we run it at install time because systemd wouldn't boot without it.
If that's changed we can certainly reexamine that.

> High level strawman: A kickstart verb like:
>
> system --template
>
> This would instruct anaconda to perform the equivalent of:
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html

Look at the number of switches there. There is no one right way for us
to know which way the user wants it setup. For this specific case it
would be useful if virt-sysprep could run from %post, letting the user
configure the image the way they want.