Re: F21 Workstation dual-boot release requirement OS X

Chris Murphy wrote on 2014-09-10 13:38 (GMT-0600):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Given the widespread mis-use of dual-boot to mean more than one,

> If by widespread you actually mean uncommon, then I agree.

I meant common in the common sense of the word common, as in this scenario:

1-bought PC, as most do, with Windows pre-installed
2-later navigated successfully through the shrink Windows and install *buntu
process
3-still later either added a newer *buntu release, or added
Debian/Fedora/Mint/openSUSE/yada, only to find "dual-boot" system remains
"dual-boot" (can no longer boot original Linux distro) or has become (Linux)
mono-boot?

Common can also apply in a more limited context, such as under this roof,
where dual-boot machines are totally absent, mono-boot machines are scarce,
and multi-boot machines are more than the fingers and toes on one human body
can account for.

> The word dual comes from a root word that means two. Any confusion on
> this point is made worse by using a prefix that doesn't mean two, but
> rather means many or much.

Whether worse depends on context. By using the broader term when generically
speaking of a broader context, there should follow less mis-use of the
narrower term, allowing it to better serve narrower contexts, as could happen
on account of the decision underlying this thread.

>> I was trying
>> to make the point that the written blocking language used needs to be
>> especially carefully crafted to ensure it *can't* be misinterpreted to mean
>> more than two.

> Right, hence dual boot. I understand in the context of booting, the
> programming/engineering vernacular is multiboot. But release criteria
> attempts to use plain language whenever possible, and multi-boot is less
> specific than dual-boot.

Of course. But might it not serve better to capture broader audience
attention first using the more inclusive term as a title, then apply the more
restrictive term to drive home the point that there shall be a hard limit of
two in the narrow Fedora release blocking context?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/