BZ 1072355: language selection indicator

Hi folks,

Here's another UX bug - David Shea and I have been talking about this one today in IRC.

Basically the problem is that users can select multiple langauges from the languages screen in the main hub, but when they do so it's not clear in the list which languages they've already selected. This is sort of a positional / wayfinding issue - the users are visting different areas within the list but then it's unclear where they've already been and where

Our guess is that the average user who needs this screen is bi-lingual. Although there is probably a use case where a sysadmin is using anaconda just to generate a ks file from it, in which case he may need to support end users of many languages. So 2 languages or many languages are kind of potential use cases here.

Anyway, I did some research and could not find many design patterns similar to this scenario. One very common one that isn't *exactly* the same but kind of close is visited links on webpages turning a different color, e.g. a darker color. One issue with relying on color too heavily though is that for visually-impaired folks, doing custom colors might cause issues and especially in an environment like anaconda where the user isn't at the point they can tweak the environment reasonably to their own preference, we want to be able to be usable by the folks from the start, so I think having some kind of indicator besides a color change would be important.

So here is the mockup - the idea is to highlight the ones you've selected and also denote them via an icon of some sort - here we used the 'ok' icon from the GNOME symbolic icon set:

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Lang-Multi-Selection-Awareness/lang-multi-select-indicator.png

What do you think?

~m