Re: LiveCD or equivalent questions...

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure where to post this, but I think all of the relevant
> players are on this list, but I'm happy to move this elsewhere if
> warranted.
>
> At $DAYJOB we have a fairly simple requirement - a stateless image
> that can be either PXE booted or booted off of local disk. The
> important characteristic here is that when the machine is rebooted, it
> loses all concept of local state. The authority of what state the
> machine should be in lives elsewhere, so it needs to come up, be
> stupid. and phone home for further instructions.
>
> We originally thought that LiveCD was the perfect mechanism for this,
> and it worked fine - until the devicemapper read/write overlay (RAM
> backed in this case) got filled up, and then the whole thing goes
> BOOM!

You probably can at the very least monitor the consumption of the
overlay with dmsetup and get a nice warning before anything goes BOOM!
I'm not sure there would be any great remedial action available to you
though. Perhaps it can be redeployed fresh when it gets close to
running out of overlay room?

John