Re: LiveCD or equivalent questions...

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 14:23:28 -0400,
 Jon Stanley <jonstanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I'm interested in is finding some way for a non-persistent
overlay to not blow up in our faces when the system has been up for
awhile and various logs, etc have been written. The use case is for a
KVM hypervisor, so we'll have long running VM's on the hypervisor and
all the attendant logs being written. The VM's are of course backed by
local disk.

Is such a thing feasible? Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is there
something that I'm not thinking of here?

You could probably customize something to handle that better.

If there is an attached disk drive you could reformat it at boot time
as swap or a partition. If you set up swap space than you might be able to use tmpfs instead of the type of ram fs used now and have a lot more space.

One thing that might be worth keeping an eye on is that Josh is testing overlayfs in his kernel playground and perhaps that handles filling up more gracefully. (See: http://jwboyer.livejournal.com/48754.html)