Re: Bootstrap yum install

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:38:46PM -0500, zip wrote:

> What I'm failing on...  From my vm, a simple test of:
> yum --config /tmp/yum.conf --installroot /mnt/sysimage/ install <simple
> package>
>
> gives me an error / Traceback that ends in
> "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'GroupInstallError'

You'd have to talk to the yum folks about that error.

I've used the info in this blog post for playing with lxc chroots:

https://www.berrange.com/posts/2013/08/12/running-a-full-fedora-os-inside-a-libvirt-lxc-guest/

> Another idea I've done some limited research to, is there an option of
> Anaconda itself that would do this.  The Kickstart process is a bit too
> much, as it would rebuild filesystems, etc that may not match the original
> machine.  But I'm open to this approach also.

You can use anaconda --dirinstall to run a kickstart that will install
to a directory and skip all the storage stuff (WARNING: It shouldn't eat
your system, but I'd err on the side of caution and use it in a VM or
spare system).

--dirinstall was added in anaconda-19.5 and will only install to
/mnt/sysimage so you need to bind mount that someplace else useful. As
of anaconda-21.44 you can pass a directory to --dirinstall to make
things a bit easier.