Re: Polishing the installer

On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 07:39 -0700, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> Hi Vratisvav
>
> I am an old IT person with 50 years of IT development experience, and
> 10 years with enjoying the use of Fedora.  I agree with all your
> comments.  May I offer some of my comments?

> The DVD or flash drive contents could be copied to disk, where there
> is ample disk space. This allows the installation to work from that
> disk. Please consider that faster devices (SSDs are coming), so this
> idea should be seriously considered.  I am, of course, not considering
> the live Images for Fedora21.

Why? This involves transferring the whole contents of the install media
to disk, taking a lot of time and wasting space. A typical install from
DVD does not involve transferring the entire contents at present. This
would make installations slower and waste space unnecessarily.

> Another thought, Anaconda should be a stub that picks up the very
> latest Anaconda version from the ISO image.  As far as I (mis)read,
> anaconda is one version behind the version that is provided within the
> ISO file.  Picking up that later image would be possible if the image
> was written to disk.

You have misunderstood this. The anaconda version used for installation
is the same version present as a package on the DVD image.

> Future:
> Could one not develop an executable stub that reads the iso image, and
> does not force the user to download and subsequently convert that
> 3.5gig image to a bootable DVD or flashdrive?

This has been working for years. You can write boot.iso/netinst.iso and
have it use packages from a copy of DVD ISO file stored on a USB stick,
or a network share, or a hard disk other than the one(s) to which you
wish to install the system.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options#repo
--
Adam Williamson