Re: Polishing the installer

On Tue, 2014-03-11 at 10:41 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Now that the basic layout is set aside the customization of partition,
> it will
> be nice to provide a professional look to the installer for fedora.next
> workstation system.
> I wonder if the layout is responsive depending of the size of the screen.
> When starting the installer, it will be nice to display an nice
> graphical screen
> rather than a typical text mode (similar to the way Fedora starts with a
> bootloader). Same principle should apply when rebooting after the
> installation.
> Granted the idea is not really important. However, with the increase of
> Fedora
> as workstation, those refinements will only enhance the overall
> experience of
> Fedora Workstation and other part of Fedora.next. Considering Fedora 21
> Final Release will not be avail until October 2014, I think this is a
> good opportunity to polish the whole installer.
> I was inspired by the way iOS is installed and updated on the iMac.
>
> The message was originally submitted on:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2014-March/009512.html
> with an additional note from Adam Williamson related to bootsplash
> missing since Fedora 12.

In addition to that note, if you were suggesting the bootloader screen
during installer startup should be graphical, it is non-graphical in
both the install images and installed Fedora systems for practical
reasons. We made it graphical for one release, and weren't really happy
with the results; it causes far more problems than just using
non-graphical, console mode. (We had systems which did not display
graphical grub properly, and systems on which it was very, very slow.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey