Re: Polishing the installer

Hi Vratisvav

I am an old IT person with 50 years of IT development experience, and 10 years with enjoying the use of Fedora.  I agree with all your comments.  May I offer some of my comments?

If we see Fedora 21 as being a desktop system, then it must impress the user with the feeling of it being very well polished and with layouts that are well thought out.
For example, anaconda must make the user not have to ask "What does this mean", when he is given choices. A help button should be provided for each section. Release notes to be written as one would do a "For dummies book", with sections displayed for the task that the user is to do next.

In my view, during the installation steps, one should force disk selection to be first, followed by a format (no going back).  My justification for so doing follows:

The DVD or flash drive contents could be copied to disk, where there is ample disk space. This allows the installation to work from that disk. Please consider that faster devices (SSDs are coming), so this idea should be seriously considered.  I am, of course, not considering the live Images for Fedora21.

Another thought, Anaconda should be a stub that picks up the very latest Anaconda version from the ISO image.  As far as I (mis)read, anaconda is one version behind the version that is provided within the ISO file.  Picking up that later image would be possible if the image was written to disk.

Future:
Could one not develop an executable stub that reads the iso image, and does not force the user to download and subsequently convert that 3.5gig image to a bootable DVD or flashdrive?

For what it is worth, I have used the sequence  wgetc  http:Fedora.iso  piped to  dd  >  /dev/flashdrive , and I avoided one long step, the unnecessary step of burning an iso image to flashdrive after fully downloading that image.

Most of all, I agree without exception, to your comments.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein
In IT since 1970.