Re: Anaconda threads and Yum with rpm backend

Hi,

> My answer largely depends on the answer to this question:  What's the
> last thing happening in the anaconda packaging thread before the
> chroot
> happens?  I'm trying to get some idea of how much communication takes
> place between the packaging thread and others.  If it's not much,
> we're
> in luck.  If it's a lot, we're in trouble.

It happens between somewhere late in the "Starting package installation process" and installing the first package. I was not able to pinpoint it better since RPM is not holding the chroot stable (it is releasing it and acquiring as needed) and Python threads got switched at inconvenient moments so my debug prints were telling me I am chrooted and unchrooted at the "same time"..

If we have to workaround it, we have three possible actions to take:

1) Workaround the chroot in anaconda
- if we do this, Yum and RPM would loose the motivation to fix it at their side :)
- we will have to invent a pipe based protocol for progress and error reporting + user's choices (bidirectional)
- we will have and ugly hack at the wrong place

2) Disable dictionary checks in password spoke
- the chroot will still happen, but it won't show
- obviously our password checking would get worse
- we would get some time to fix this for next release at the proper place

3) File a bug against pwcheck so it is not calling exit() when the dictionary is not present
- the fix might not be ready for F18
- the same comments as for 2)
- we should do this anyways

Martin