Re: Root password and the location of the done button

On 10/12/2012 03:50 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
The Done button location is not ideal.

The problem with Root password and Minimal Install I don't understand. But the need to set a password isn't made clear for no-GUI package sets. But you can boot in Rescue/single-user mode and set the root password.

The password dialog has been removed from the main hub and put into the actual installing widget and currently is not working there or is working on a whim.

We in the QA community require that set password spoke to be present at all time in for all package set because we need to be able to set the root password *always* and have the ability to login not matter what after the initial installation during the development phase to be able to test.

You or any designer can try to make the argument here like you are doing that reporters can always workaround the lack of root password by adding various kernel command line switches but that is not true for example if the menu in grub is busted for one reason or another ( two or more such bugs have happened for virtual images in kvm just during this development cycle ) and here is one that happens with beta-tc3 every time I try to type something on the terminal after installing without root password

atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed ( translated set 2, code 0x0 on isa0060&serio0)
atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeykeycodes 00 <keycode>' to make it known

The harder it gets for reporter to actually test the distribution the fewer and far between they come and shorter they stay ( which is not something we want or need in the project )...

JBG