Re: problem with PXE-boot kickstart install - network

Will Woods wrote:
On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 23:03 -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
Brian C. Lane wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:42:48PM -0500, David A. Marlin wrote:
So while we find a solution to the underlying issue, is it possible
to force the installer to use dhclient, or some other
non-NetworkManager method to start networking?  Since I was able to
ssh in to the system, I have to assume 'something' other than
NetworkManager is starting networking.

Both initramfs and NetworkManager use dhclient behind the scenes. If you
pass an 'ip=XXX' arg or a kickstart with a 'network' line, dracut
configures the interface (e.g. by starting dhclient) and then hands the
interface over to NM[1] when the system starts for real.
I am passing ip=eth0:dhcp on the kernel command line, and since it downloads the kickstart config and I am able to ssh in to the system, it seems to be working. I think when things go awry is when the system starts for real and NM takes over. Due to issues with the driver, NM reports that it cannot start networking.
If NM really isn't running, the interface is probably still up because
dhclient brought it up previously.
NM is actually running, but it reports that networking was not started.

That might be enough to let you keep
testing, but really.. you gotta fix that first, or do non-network
installs.
Right, I have reported the problem to the driver author, and they are working on a solution. I was just anxious to further test the kickstart installation on this system in the mean time, and identify any other issues as early as possible. If there were some way to tell Anaconda to ignore NM altogether and just use the existing interface, I think we could proceed with the install. Since it appears there is not, we'll just have to wait for a kernel driver fix.

Thank you for your help,

d.marlin
========

-w