RE: rescue mode doest active lvm

I don't know about Fedora 16 or 17, but in CentOS, this is how it works:

  - If you select 'Continue' it will issue 'vgchange -ay' and try to mount your Linux installation
  - If you select 'Skip', it will not issue 'vgchange -ay'

If you have a problem with your system and 'Continue' does not mount anything, look in the directory /dev/mapper.  Are there any files there?  If not, try 'vgchange -ay'.  Do you get any errors?  Do files appear in /dev/mapper?

Another useful rescue command is 'fdisk -l'.  That will show you whether the system can find any disk drives at all, and what partitions it thinks are on them.

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”