Re: Fwd: Re: [f16-branch] Write human readable timezone information to /etc/timezone.

Lennart Poettering (lpoetter@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> >There's a small dbus-activated service that runs; you call SetTimezone()
> >on it with the timezone you want. Similarly for NTP, locale, hostname, etc.
> >
> >This should be pretty easy to frob in the running install environment; less
> >easy to do in the install root, as the service wouldn't be running there.
> >
> >Is this currently done:
> >1) only in the install env (and then copied to the install root)
> >2) only in the install root
> >3) in both the install env and the install root separately
>
> This is an interesting question: the mechanisms are bus activated,
> and hence probably not fun to use from outside of the actual system.
> If the anaconda firstboot stuff is the only code needing this
> functionality it would make a lot of sense to use these mechanisms
> only after the first boot into the actual system.

We could go down the root of for this sort of configuration, to have
it passed as some sort of kickstart/data/whatever to the installed
system, which runs a special firstboot.target target on its firstboot,
that applies these settings (and then disables itself.) If that data
isn't there, you get the interactive firstboot that asks for these
settings.

Bill