Re: Fwd: Re: [f16-branch] Write human readable timezone information to /etc/timezone.

HEya,

On 22.09.2011 22:41, Chris Lumens wrote:
systemd whenever it changes /etc/localtime will also write
/etc/timezone to the right value. All I am asking here is that
anaconda as the initial tool that writes /etc/localtime does the
same.

Under which circumstances does systemd change /etc/localtime?  Is this
something anaconda can just call so that /etc/timezone also gets written
out?  We've pretty thoroughly bought into using systemd in the
installation environment, so we could conceivably just call into
whatever you're doing already.

All systemd does is provide a tiny dbus mechanism service that is used by GNOME3.2, to change timezone/time/NTP and so on. It is easily accessible from all code that can do D-Bus.

It's documented here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/timedated

[ As a side note, there are similar tiny mechanisms for locale/kbd settings and for the hostname:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/localed

Is that interesting for anaconda as well? ]

Perhaps system-config-date could offer a Python
library, C library, and command line tool to look up /etc/localtime and
print out the human-readable name?

Nah. I am sorry. We don't need a library for this, especially since
that would be used on Fedora only and nowhere else.

We have tools that modify authentication parameters, users and
passwords, the firewall, and so forth.  It seems reasonable to also have
something similar for timezone.

We could probably provide a binary that is simply a client to the bus service. Would that be in your interest? Of coure, if Anaconda is written in Python it's probably much nicer to just invoke the bus calls directly.

Lennart