Re: Fwd: Re: [f16-branch] Write human readable timezone information to /etc/timezone.

> systemd whenever it changes /etc/localtime will also write
> /etc/timezone to the right value. All I am asking here is that
> anaconda as the initial tool that writes /etc/localtime does the
> same.

Under which circumstances does systemd change /etc/localtime?  Is this
something anaconda can just call so that /etc/timezone also gets written
out?  We've pretty thoroughly bought into using systemd in the
installation environment, so we could conceivably just call into
whatever you're doing already.

> > Perhaps system-config-date could offer a Python
> >library, C library, and command line tool to look up /etc/localtime and
> >print out the human-readable name?
>
> Nah. I am sorry. We don't need a library for this, especially since
> that would be used on Fedora only and nowhere else.

We have tools that modify authentication parameters, users and
passwords, the firewall, and so forth.  It seems reasonable to also have
something similar for timezone.

> It's nothing anaconda should "own". it's just a file that anaconda
> should write, when writing /etc/localtime. The file is currently
> ghosted and owned by systemd, but could be moved to setup.rpm or
> filesystemd.rpm, too, doesn't really matter.

We've been spending a lot of time doing what people want - making
anaconda less special.  Part of this is removing knowledge that only
anaconda has.  This timezone thing is a prime candidate.  It doesn't
matter what we were doing in the past.  If we're having to change things
now, we might as well do it right and make anaconda not have to know
about these details.

> Please don't work against the unification of Linux.

Insulting the people who can help you with baseless accusations and
ridiculous hyperbole is not a wise plan.  This isn't fedora-devel-list.
Please keep statements like this to yourself.

- Chris