Re: User Experience improvements for Anaconda

2010/11/11 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> - Today we had some conversation in #anaconda and I wrote that up as
> well on that last wiki page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Current_Install_Process_Analysis
>
> I really want to help make our installation process an easy and pleasant
> experience - so if you have any feedback on the above or ideas on how to
> get there, let's talk about it. I think even bad or crazy ideas are good
> brain food, and can lead to awesome innovation. I'm definitely planning
> to put together some pretty crazy mockups to feed our brains so be on
> the lookout for those. :)

One of the things I know has been talked about and possibly tried over
the years (heck it might be already in place) was basically separating
the UI and the installer as two seperate tools. The UI basically
creates the kickstart for the system and the installer takes that
kickstart and operates on it. Some of the crazy ideas was that you
could run the UI before the installer to work out and warn upgrade
issues before you actually went through with it (it would then just
add a boot option pointing to a initrd that contained the finished
kickstart and a reboot would do a reinstall via that. It also allowed
one to run through the installer and options in even Microsoft Windows
before implementing the 'installation'.

For the case of bare hardware, the install would not look much
different. You would go through the UI screens and it would create a
kickstart that could be run by the installer. [Or outputted to a flash
or something in case you wanted to check out yourself and such.]

I am not sure if this was followed along at some time and figured out
to be too unworkable.. Or it turned into a "when we finally get to
rewriting we should try this". The reason I brought it up is that it
could allow for the UI design to be cleaner or expanded from what was
initially thought out.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren