Re: User Experience improvements for Anaconda

Hi,

I'd like to share some of my ideas of this redesign. They are mostly about firstboot, but I think that's a part of the install process too, and some of them may concern anaconda too.
I'm usually in minority with my ideas about how things should work and look, but I'm still trying, so here they are. :)

1) I would like to get rid of the left panel in firstboot showing the steps with the background, and instead show steps count in bottom part of the screen.
This steps count can also be in anaconda in the same place, to make both applications look similar.

2) Instead of the background, and the big logo on top of the screen in anaconda, I think it would be better to just have a small decent logo in the bottom left part of the screen.
I know marketing people may not agree with me, but when I'm installing fedora, I already downloaded it, so they got me, and I know what I'm installing, so I don't have to have the logo in my face all the time, at the top of the screen, which is the place I look at first. I think more important parts with which I interact should be there instead.
Again this can be consistent in anaconda and firstboot too.

Next point only applies to firstboot...

3) I would like to disable fullscreen in firstboot. Honestly I think no one will agree with me on this, but it's my opinion. For me, after rebooting the system, if the firstboot is not fullscreen, but instead centered and with window decorations, I can _feel_ that the installation has moved somewhere already, I see that I already have some window manager running, and I can see decorations, and background image, this makes me feel better, than seeing another fullscreen app, which bothers me with more questions.
This also has more advantages. First people are getting bigger and bigger screens now, and you can imagine how firstboot looks at 2560x1600 resolution screens. I have to move my mouse over 1m to get from a text entry to the Forward button, if not using keyboard shortcuts. Also most of the screen is just empty and grey. Of course we can't fill it all up with widgets, because that would make it confusing.
Another advantage I like about this, is that the window will have the [X] close button on top. In my opinion we should let the user close firstboot, if he wishes to. We can show a confirmation dialog, with something like "if you don't finish these steps, your system may not function properly, are you sure?", so nobody closes it accidentaly, but if someone knows what he's doing, we don't bother him with filling up all the entries.

This leads me to a decision, which audience we want to target. Do we want to target mostly users who have bought their first computer, and we want to guide them by hand, and _force_ them to do every step, so they don't get hurt. In this case we should remove some of the advanced settings, and make it nice and simple. Or are we targeting a little more experienced users, and we are confident, that they have at least a little idea of what is going on during the install, and can decide what steps to take, and which to skip. In this case I think the screens may be a little more complicated, with more choices, so it's up to the user to decide which he needs, and which he doesn't.

I made a mockup of how I imagine new firstboot, with the create user module visible. You can see it here http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/firstboot.png

It's not perfect, but you can see the main ideas.

That's all for now.

--

  Martin Gracik