User Experience improvements for Anaconda

Hi,

In case you don't know me, my name is MÃirÃn Duffy (mizmo in IRC) and
I'm the Fedora design team lead & an interaction designer with Red Hat.
I worked a bit with Chris and Peter before Fedora 12 came out to try to
improve Anaconda's UI for more specialized storage devices.

I'm very interested in improving Anaconda's user interface, and in
general Fedora's installation experience from beginning to end. One
thing we've worked on for the past two releases of Fedora is an improved
experience for downloading Fedora from the website. You may have noticed
the redesigned 'Get Fedora' pages with Fedora 13's launch, and the
redesigned Fedora main website released with Fedora 14's launch a couple
of weeks ago.

I think the next logical step is to examine the current state of our
installation process, identifying the issues we see today, and
brainstorming ways to improve the experience of installing Fedora.
Here's what we have so far towards this end:

- A wiki page to store links to discussions, record decisions, store
mockups, and any other data needed:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign

- There was a long thread on Fedora's devel list about improving the
installer experience.
(http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144105.html ) There are some notes distilled from that thread on the UX_Redesign wiki page right now (although they'll probably need some more cleanup to be useful.)

- David put together some notes on the install experience for other
distributions: http://dcantrel.fedorapeople.org/installer-evals/

- James documented the supported installation methods tested in
Anaconda:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-May/msg00305.html

- This week I created screen-by-screen walkthroughs of the Live Media
install process in F14
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_Live_Media_Install ) and
the DVD install process as well
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_DVD_Install ). I also put
together a comparison chart of the two methods -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Current_Install_Process_Analysis

- Today we had some conversation in #anaconda and I wrote that up as
well on that last wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Current_Install_Process_Analysis

I really want to help make our installation process an easy and pleasant
experience - so if you have any feedback on the above or ideas on how to
get there, let's talk about it. I think even bad or crazy ideas are good
brain food, and can lead to awesome innovation. I'm definitely planning
to put together some pretty crazy mockups to feed our brains so be on
the lookout for those. :)

Thanks,
~m