Re: User Experience improvements for Anaconda

On 11/12/2010 05:19 AM, MÃirÃn Duffy wrote:
I think the next logical step is to examine the current state of our
installation process, identifying the issues we see today, and
brainstorming ways to improve the experience of installing Fedora.

Hi MÃirÃn,

here is some update on anaconda networking UI and repository UI
from my side.

1) network configuration/enablement:

I posted some patches integrating NetworkManger Applet
into anaconda. They follow addition of NetworkManager Connection Editor
in F14:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-November/msg00144.html
(screencasts included)

The patchset is introducing (as a requirement) a panel which, I guess, would
change a lot about what we can and need to do wrt new anaconda UI design.

(It obsoletes my first attempt to bring functionality that NM Applet offers
into anaconda:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-October/msg00201.html)

2) proposition of repository UI change:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-September/msg00181.html
(with screencasts)

This is more FYI. I'm not very optimistic about this change going into anaconda.
Probably the repo UI (and offered functionality) will be changed more
fundamentally.

- This week I created screen-by-screen walkthroughs of the Live Media
install process in F14
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_Live_Media_Install ) and
the DVD install process as well
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_DVD_Install ). I also put
together a comparison chart of the two methods -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Current_Install_Process_Analysis

Network configuration is missing there, which I understand as it has been
changing recently. I'd only note that in Live CD it is not available
because the configuration should be done within the Live CD (not inastaller)
environment. It complies with my last patchset using NM applet in panel
which would be started only in non-LiveCD case.

Radek