Re: [Fwd: Fedora 12 Installer Experience]

On Nov 18, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

Hi,

On 11/18/2009 05:18 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
Ah, but I'm not suggesting doing 2 different composes, just don't do
mediacheck by default at all, and have a separate entry in the syslinux menu
for mediacheck so people can still easily do it.

Problem is that media check does actually catch problems, and not
running it means we're going to get a lot more bugs about completely
random i/o errors caused by bad media.  I'd be really opposed to
disabling it by default.

Well we are not doing it be default atm either, we are asking by default and
most people I know press no, they might press yes the first time they
ever install Fedora, but once they know what it is and how long it takes,
they press no.

So IMHO for the sake if userfriendlyness, we should not ask by default.

That's certianly been my reaction! If you're starting a time- consuming operation
without asking,   please provide a way to bail out.

Perhaps:
  - a [Cancel] button bail out of media check once its started
  - ditto for hitting the [esc] key