Re: [Fwd: Fedora 12 Installer Experience]

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 17:35 -0800, J.H. wrote:
> Bryan J Smith wrote:
> > Bryan J Smith wrote:
> >> If you're an expert, you use a network install anyway.  I have a
> >> PCMCIA card I throw into my T60 as eth1 that brings up a DHCP and
> >> services TFTP and Apache only when it exists, precisely for network
> >> booting all sorts of releases.
> >
> > J.H. wrote:
> >> Could get rid of media tests completely by using network based
> >> installers, like boot.kernel.org ;-)
> >
> > Anaconda exists for many reasons.
> >
> > I don't know of many distros offering all sorts of advanced storage
> > setup other than Anaconda.  Let's not re-invent the wheel ... again.
>
> I think you completely missed the point of boot.kernel.org, it's got
> *NOTHING* to do with Anaconda.  boot.kernel.org allows you to network
> boot a computer over the internet, with my original point & intent being
> - you don't need a media test when you network install a computer.
>
> More or less exactly what you were suggesting, only I'm trying to take
> the 'expert' portion out of the statement.

More to the point it's a network boot to /get/ to Anaconda, avoiding the
burning a CD step.  However trying to compare the "ease" of using
boot.kernel.org to burning a Fedora CD and booting it is laughable.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)