Re: FutureFeature: anaconda stage1 shell?

I am unfamiliar with this mailing list, so I apologize if
I am doing things wrong.  I made the mistake of replying
directly to Joel Granados because I did not think my query
had been sent to this mailing list.  (I was looking at the
top of the archive "by thread" for my message and I did not
realize that when the moderator included it (since I am not
a member) that it would be deeper down on the thread list,
at the location corresponding to the date I sent it.)  So I
have edited Joel's reply to me to put my message on top and
his message underneath it, so that they are in chronological
order.  Sorry to be unconventional; I won't do it again.  I
will send my reply separate from this message.

=============number_three_in_the_thread_follows==============

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:33:19PM -0700, Paul Franklin wrote:

> On 8/19/09, Joel Granados <jgranado@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Instead of a shell, why don't you point it to the correct URL?
>
> I am replying to you personally and not the whole list.  Please
> correct me if that is the wrong thing for me to do.  (I don't
> really understand what is happening since I have never seen your
> reply show up in the archive, nor my original message either.)
> Yours was the only reply I received.
>
> To answer your specific question, it is because I do not run an
> http server on my machine.
>
> If you want more details, let me say that I made my original
> feature request because I hoped that a shell at stage1 would
> enable me to debug my problem, whatever is causing it.  Since
> "sbin/bash" is already in the initrd.img I hoped it would be
> simple (for one of you RedHat people) to start something up on
> tty2 so I could then type commands, just like in stage2.
>
> For years now I have installed Fedora by loading vmlinuz and the
> initrd.img (from images/pxeboot) via PXE and then pointing the
> anaconda installer at a personal machine of mine which exported
> the already-downloaded ISO image(s) of Fedora via NFS.  (With no
> firewalls or proxy servers or anything else between them.)  The
> ISO image(s) directly and not a "looped" mount.
>
> Through Fedora 9, all I had to type in was my machine's IP
> address (since I don't run a nameserver either) and then the
> (NFS-exported) directory which had the ISO image in it.  The
> anaconda installer was clever enough to do the right thing.
>
> Starting with F10 I had to be more specific but it still worked.
> Here are the lines in the relevant /tftpboot/pxe/pxelinux.cfg
> file:
>
>   label 50
>     kernel F10/vmlinuz
>     append initrd=F10/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000
>       repo=nfsiso:172.22.101.50:/home2/me/F/F10 ip=dhcp
>       stage2=nfs:172.22.101.50:/home2/me/F/F10/install.img
>       keymap=us lang=en_US.UTF-8 loglevel=debug
>
> (Although of course the "append" is all on one line, really.)
>
> And this is the output of "ls -F /home2/*/F/F10":
>
>   Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso Fedora-10-i386-SHA1SUM install.img
>
> So when I choose that F10 option, PXE downloads that kernel and
> initrd.img, then starts it with those arguments, the (11.4.1.62)
> anaconda starts up and since I have pre-answered the "stage1
> questions" it immediately fetches the install.img and starts it.
> I only see a stage1 comment about starting the Network Manager
> and the next thing I see is the stage2 GUI screen.  Success.
>
> I have tried many (dozens) of variants of that PXE line, for
> Fedora 11, and none has ever succeeded.  Instead, after anaconda
> starts up I always get the stage1 "Error" window saying "That
> directory could not be mounted from the server."
>
> I won't bother showing you the corresponding F/F11 directory tree
> (unless you ask), since I have tried it in many different
> configurations, but let me say that I have tried the DVD by
> [...]

=============number_four_in_the_thread_follows==============

Hey Paul.

1. Mail reply: I'm pretty sure that your mail is in the list.  I have
not checked the archives, but I see no other reason for me getting that
mail (I have a filter that puts everything for that list in a specific
dir)

2. shell in stage1.  We try to start the shell as soon as we can, we
actually do start the shell in steage one, but since things are
happening so fast, one only notices it afterwards.

3. May I suggest rawhide?  We have addressed issues concerning
installation methods.  Additionally the alpha is about to come out and I
would strongly recommend that you give it a shot.

4. If you find the same behavior in rawhide, then it becomes something
that we should and would look at, but since you are seeing F11 behavior
its probably already taken care of in the current rawhide code.  Yet
another reason to give rawhide a shot.

Thanks for the report.  And, if you can, pls respond and post to the
list. :)

Regards.
Joel Andres Granados
Brno, Czech Republic, Red Hat.