Re: Features/YumLangpackPlugin and anaconda consequences

Hi,

On 07/01/2009 05:40 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Crrently, in anaconda and yum, we install language specific addons via
conditional packages in comps. It's generally agreed that this sucks as
an intereface, but it's what we have.

There is a proposal to move this to a yum plugin for Fedora 12. Whenever
a package has language-specific extensions (such as 'openoffice.org-core';
these packages would be described in some metadata), the corresponding
language pack (determined via %_install_langs, most likely) would be
installed.

If we do this through %_install_langs, we gain nothing as currently that
is set to "all languages" and not changable (during the install atleast).

I've actually discussed this with Florian (from the rpm team) during Fudcon
in Berlin, as a side discussion spinning of a discussion about soft
dependencies, and he does not like %_install_langs, the problem with
%_install_langs is that if you want to later add an additional language
all packages need to be re-downloaded and re-installed, now the need to
re-install could be fixed, but we would still have the re-download.

Florian suggested putting every single .mo file in a separate sub package,
but that IMHO is crazy, still this needs some more thinking through I think.

Regards,

Hans