Re: Installer device Filtering...

On 30.06.2009 Steffen Maier wrote:
> On 06/19/2009 01:49 PM, Joel Granados wrote:
> >  * What information to give to the filter?  This is related to the UI.
> >    And this was the reason to begin the discussion.
> >    - Give a regular expression that identifies the devices
>
> Regexes seem way too complicated for anaconda which otherwise guides the
> user in a very helpful way. Wouldn't two entry fields to specify an
> interval/range do it? I mean, on systems with many (hundreds to
> thousands on s390) devices users would typically want to filter for
> device number ranges. E.g. activate all DASDs between and including
> 0.0.beef and 0.0.dead.

Another great option is to make a "narrowing" filter -- I.e, when you
start typing characters in the filter entry box, the list dynamically
shrinks to the *subset* containing this sub-string (think awesome-bar
in Firefox or the search boxes in kmail/kaddressbook).

Although regex are more powerful, the "narrowing" filter pros:
 * Very simple and intuitive for newbies.
 * No need for extra controls (Apply button, etc.)
   as the action is immediate as you type.
 * Add/remove/change filtering are all the same
   action (type/edit the string).
 * It's important to narrow by sub-string (not prefix), so it won't
   be very limited.
 * Making the matched sub-string bold in the list (as in FF awesome-bar)
   would make it even more intuitive.

However, if this is going to be implemented, it's important to have
it for any list which may be long (for consistent look and feel).

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron