Re: Reset resolver before looking up IP address (bug 480858)

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 08:32 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
>  Correct, but that's more or less how we are feeding config data to NM
> for the moment.  Inside write(), where we depend on the network, we
> should be waiting for NM rather than waiting in the one location.
>
> I prefer the single write() function in the network.py file for
> simplicity.  All network information gets dumped out from there.

What about this.  The first time we call write() we're writing so that
NetworkManager can be brought up, and if we have other information such
as DNS and whatnot, we write them out to resolv.conf.  That should be
all we need to bringup and successfully use the network.  The other
files, such as hosts and the udev policy file,
and /etc/sysconfig/network are only really useful to the /installed/
system, which we write out (twice right now) in pre-install (and again
in post-install).

What if we exit out of the write() call after having written the ifcfg-*
and /etc/resolv.conf files when we don't have an instPath (IE before
we've even talked to the repos), and only worry about writing those
other files when we're actually writing to the filesystem.  This should
allow for networking to be up at the point we write out to the installed
filesystem (unless it wasn't a network install, in which point we never
got an IP address from the user to begin with).

I can work up a patch to this effect pretty quickly.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!