Re: How to get the hostname in stage2 ?

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 07:50 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
>>  sethostname() is called from loader if you do a network boot method and
>> we have to set up networking in loader.  If you bring up networking only
>> for package installation, we don't specifically call sethostname().  I
>> needed to do a sethostname() call in loader to preserve one particular
>> install case that I can't remember right now.  What would be nice is to
>> have NetworkManager setting the hostname for us if it can.
>
> I'm pretty certain that NetworkManager is setting the hostname, if it
> gets it from DHCP, or can look it up via DHCP.  What I don't think
> happens is if you supply a hostname in anaconda, then get a DHCP address
> that either doesn't have a lookup or doesn't match the lookup, you still
> get your supplied hostname.  I haven't tested with static IP assignment
> yet though.  There certainly is some disconnect with the anaconda
> provided hostname and the lookup of the IP hostname.

This gets in to a policy issue as well.  How important or how much do we
care about the hostname?  What do we want hostname(1) to return to
users?  What they want to name the system or what DNS knows as the
system name?  We can do the former with writing out /etc/hosts, which is
sort of the classic way of solving the problem.

I don't want to call my system cpe-64-91-83-151.hawaii.res.rr.com, I
want to call it 'loki' and I don't want to care about the IP address.

There is disconnect, but I'd like some hostname policy to appear before
making too many changes.  For the case of supplying anaconda with a
hostname and then picking up an address over DHCP, which hostname takes
precedence (assuming you've got working DNS lookups on your network)?  I
would think the supplied hostname from the user should work always,
regardless of the IP address or network connection.  But maybe we don't
want that.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI